Friday, January 23, 2009

Lone Wolf Beer Review LIVE!: Trois Pistoles

This week's post comes to you LIVE! Woohoo! This one isn't written from tasting notes or anything, it's just me and you... you being my laptop and probably nobody else. What we've got in front of us today is Unibroue's Trois Pistoles. I was walking by Trader Joe's at Coolidge Corner and decided to pop in and buy a good beer on the cheap for a movie night tonight and settled on this wonderful beverage. I quick checked BeerAdvocate on my iPhone to see the reviews, and when they were roundly good, I picked it up. It pours fizzy into my glass with about half an inch of head that dissolves into small "clouds." The smell is straight belgian, son. It smells like it's going to be very sweet, like Chimay Rouge or like a dubbel, tripel, or quad. That being said, I'm ready for sweet. First taste is... wow, not sweet at all! Very "bready." I don't really know how to describe it, but it's like a smooth belgian bread beer; very yeasty and everything. As it warms up, the alcohol comes out a lot more and it begins to taste more like the belgian sweet strong ale it smells like. Aftertaste is the iron-y and bitter sweet, much like normal belgian ales, but with a bready/yeast-y overtone. I like it, I really do... I'd like to think I'm not swayed by the BeerAdvocate reviews, and like trying new beers - what I'm trying to say is that this is a beer that I'd buy again on my own behalf, or if I have a friend who is really interested in belgian beers but wants to try something different.
My rating: 9/10
Poured: Snifter
BeerAdvocate: Link

No comments: