Monday, April 21, 2008

Moston Bearathon

Here in Boston, apparently everyone makes a big deal out of the Boston Marathon. I've never experienced this before, so I can't really speak about the scope and scale of this outside of what I've witnessed here. Having tons of work to do, I needed to escape the narrow confines of my distracting apartment and escape to the library for one day out of what will become a week of work.

First thing of note is that conveniently enough, the Marathon has managed to close off my apartment from Campus. Well, that's what I thought until I realized that despite police every 50 feet, I could cross the road when there was nobody passing that was participating in the event. Secondly, doesn't it seem a bit... oh, I don't know, morbid perhaps, inappropriate at least, to have the 23rd mile of the Marathon, which is close to where I live, run past one of the largest cemeteries in Boston? It's almost as if the event planners are saying "You're sooo close! But hey, if you can't finish, we can just stick you in the ground right over there." It's weird, I don't know... maybe I'm just weird. Third, what I most don't understand about this event is why it means that everyone is out drinking and partying at 10 AM? Don't get me wrong, I love that shit, and I'm all for cracking one open on a nice spring day and chilling outside, but, for every one of me there are, there has to be someone doing something else, doesn't there? Not here. Almost everyone (that I can't see here from my wonderful view out of the BC Library) is outside grilling stuff, drinking, whistling and screaming whenever someone strides by, carrying bags of chips (yeah, apparently Lay's is the official sponsor of fatasses everywhere who love to sit around and watch the Marathon from the convenience of... any place that means they don't have to run) etc. Don't worry, I'm not bitter about the fact that I can't be partying with everyone else... well, not much at least :/.

So, in true "I'm a grad student" fashion, I'm locking myself in the Library until I'm at least finished with my 6-10 page Locke paper, and possibly doing as much research as I can stand for one day on my 35 page Security Studies research paper. The only good thing about today is that the library's not crowded, so I can barely hear anyone else doing anything - definitely a good thing considering my attention span (after all, I'm supposed to be writing my Locke paper, right??)

-B$ out

1 comment:

Merej213 said...

I love you, my bearathon!!