Saturday, December 6, 2008

This Week in Beer 2: December 1st

This Week in Beer 2: I'm Back!

After a long hiatus in the blogging world, I'm back! What better way to come back than to rant and rave about something that most of you reading this just won't give a shit about - beer! Just kidding, although sometimes I wonder who reads this. This has been a really good week for beer. Between my parents coming into town and a recent beer tasting at Publick House Provisions, it's been really hard to complain. However, the tasting itself was rather underwhelming. My introduction to this event was on the BeerAdvocate beer calendar, and I decided it'd be something that'd get me out of the apartment and out doing stuff, and also give me the opportunity to perhaps try some good beer (and I also figured since I'd be down at PHP, it'd be unacceptable to pass up the opportunity to pick up a mix-a-six grab bag of amazing beers.) As such, I'll comment about this tasting first, then go into other beer stuff.

Features - Merchant du Vin Tasting Session @ PHP

The tasting was hosted by the Merchant du Vin importer, one which is responsible for some good beers (think Trappist Rochefort, Trappist Orval, Trappist Westmalle, the Celebrator line, Ayinger, Samuel Smith, etc.) However, their showcase was very limited: they only had a bottle of Ayinger Ur-Weiss, Trappist Orval, Trappist Westmalle Dubbel, and the famous Lindeman's Framboise. I sampled everything except the Framboise, which I know from experience is little more than Raspberry Soda with no real alcohol (2.7% ABV - for shame!) I always hypothesized that one could never get drunk even if they slammed an entire wine size bottle of Framboise, which I would back up at any given time if someone were to challenge me (those of you who know me know how much of a lightweight I am, and if it even had around 4% ABV, it'd probably be more than significant to get me going - after all, from previous drinking endeavors in my undergraduate career, I knew that 2 or 3 coors lights could get me rolling.) Anyways, it was nice to try the Orval again, the last time I had a bottle of that was over an entree of Pumpkin Ravioli at the Publick House. It's nice and crisp with just a hint of bitter. The thing I always love noting is the head on Trappist ales, they're perfect - never any froth, just comprised of visible bubbles uniform in size. They always leave beautiful lacing on the glasses as well. The Westmalle dubbel was nice as well. Pat, Mere and I split a mix-a-six, settling on 2 beers a piece we'd love to share with each other (Me: St. Bernardus ABT 12, Trappist Rochefort 8; Pat: Delerium Noel, Old Engine Oil; and Mere: Founders Red's Rye, Southern Tier Raspberry Porter) and I coupled in two large bottles: one of Southern Tier Choklat and Dogfish Head Pangaea.

Back to the Roadhouse

With my parents in town and my dad lobbying for a good place to watch the Red Wings play the Bruins, we ended up at the Publick House Roadhouse. As is no doubt evident, I really like anything Publick House related, albeit expensive. They just provide such a complete experience in their restaurants between ambience [dark and intimate with all dark wood, numerous rare and tasteful beer memorabilia from some of the best breweries in the world, and they love their chandeliers] beer selection, and food are usually second-to-none. I've heard good things about Deep Ellum as well in Allston, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot when I get the chance and have saved up a bit of coin - the only thing worse than having a hobby which centers around good beer is living on a limited budget!

This time around, we were stuffed from having had the best bacon cheeseburger in Boston at Doyle's in JP. Honestly, if you dig mushroom/swiss burgers with bacon, go with the pot belly minus the peppers medium rare, it is, without a doubt in my mind, the best cheeseburger in Boston. We arrived at the Roadhouse a little after 7:30 with the intention of eating late while feasting on an appetizer (BBQ Shrimp) and some great beer. As such, beers were ordered around (Me: Magic Hat Lucky Kat [one of my go-to's for early in the evening,] Southern Tier Choklat, Saison Dupont [thanks to Pat for the suggestion] Mere: Coffeehaus Porter, Founders' Rubaeus, Dad: Rogue 12pa, Smuttynose Wheatwine, and Victory Golden Monkey Trippel. (didn't go with a view to review them, just enjoy them, so only recent reviews in my review section this time.)

The food was very good. I've heard the reviews rolling in of this place and they aren't very positive. Despite that, as stated above, even if the food wasn't spectacular, the Publick House crew craft a very compelling package in a restaurant that would bring you back to try it again in some time, not that they ever settle or are satisfied unless that package is complete [if you don't believe me, just talk to the employees there, they're really tough on their work.] I ordered the Pork Ribs and they were just ok, but everyone else's food was spectacular. My dad had the Catfish fingers, which were outstanding; mom had the Goulash which was great (and was even better as leftovers!); I forgot what Mere got, in retrospect, but I remember it being good. The jalapeƱo cheddar cornbread was great that came with all the meals, and the BBQ sauces were all very sweet, but at the same time brought the heat. Overall, I'd say the experience was a 7 of 10 given that my entree was just ok, but everyone else enjoyed a delicious dinner. My dad commented afterwards that it was one of the best days for eating he'd ever had - Doyle's in the afternoon, Roadhouse in the evening, can't complain at all!

Reviews

I recently fell in love with the St. Bernardus ABT 12 on draft at the Publick House over the weekend with my parents. It's perhaps the most dangerous beer in known existence for me, as it's 10% ABV but tastes so sweet that you'd never know it. That's not to say it's fruity throughout as a Lambic or Fruit Beer would be, but it's just sweet enough. I'd say the only fruit tasted in this one is a hint of Banana Bread... Aside from that, pours a mid-amber color with about a finger of off-white perfect head. Taste is sweet, but not saccharine; just right. For those of you that don't really care for Abbey trippel and dubbels as they are too sweet, give this a shot, because I think it's the best of the sweet without being out of hand. The aftertaste is the only remotely boozy bit, but it's so subdued that it doesn't even matter. Out of a glass, didn't disappoint, although not quite as crisp as the draft lines at PH. Oh well, can't complain about a brew that apparently used to be brewed with the same recipe as and out of the same abbey as the infamous Trappist Westvleteren Ales. 
My ratings: Draft 10/10 - Bottle 9/10; 
Poured: At PH: St. Bernardus Chalice; At Home: Chimay Chalice
BeerAdvocate: Link

The Founders Red's Rye was perhaps the perfect hoppy beer for me: it really blended two things exceptionally - a brilliant amount of beautiful hops (that didn't get out of control, I've had plenty of IPA, Double and Triple IPAs that kick my ass with hops, and it's not much of a pleasant experience - the hops here knew their limits and stayed perfectly within them, not even pushing it, but don't get me wrong, the hops are far from subdued in this brew) and a full-bodied taste. I know it seems very "mainstream" to use the phrase "full bodied," but I mean it in the purest sense - the taste didn't live and die by the hops, as said above, it was a very robust beer in and of itself - the kind you could almost envision without the hop taste at all (if that makes any sense, which I'm really not sure whether it does.) This beer is just short of perfection, and has everything I'd ever look for in an IPA. 
My rating: 9.5/10 
Poured: Session/Imperial Pint Glass.
BeerAdvocate: Link
Also of note: It goes extremely well with a creamy havarti cheese (no gimmicks [drink], just the creamy havarti.)

Dogfish Head as a brewery, on the whole, specialize in a few things; beer geeks will know this already. They specialize in IPAs and fruity beers. That being said, I get excited whenever they come out with a new fruity beer to try as they seem to know exactly how to brew the perfect "off-center ales." Over the years, I've tried tons of their beers: IPA 60, 90, 120; Raison D'etat, Raison D'extra, Fort, Chateau Jiahau, Indian Brown Ale, Punkin, etc. Of those, I liked the IPA 90 Minute, Fort, Indian Brown, and Chateau Jiahau the best - and the Raison offerings the least. Pangaea is a beer which perhaps is more of a gimmick (drink) than anything, boasting to have acquired at least one ingredient from each of the seven continents in the world. That being said, I really wanted to try it; I'm a sucker for good marketing ideas. Anyways, this beer also boasts a strong ginger taste, which I was excited to see in a beer. We cracked it open (as the third beer of the night) and gave 'er a shot. As advertised, very gingery, but I like that - in my opinion, it is on the burden of the brewer to properly use sugar/saccharine sweetness in sweet beers, that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Lindeman's Framboise is that it's overly sugary as opposed to malty which usually a good fruity beer does. It poured an opaque apricot/light orange with a nice off-white head. Was very tasty. Ginger all the way. If I was going to draw an analogy, I'd say that ginger is to Pangaea what Orange Peel and Coriander are to Chateau Jiahau. Tastes sweet on the tongue, hits with some complexity on the aftertaste. At the same time I was indulging in a very garlicky pizza, which perhaps brought the ginger out a bit much, but all in all, good brew. Not one I'd buy on a semi-regular basis, but good nonetheless. Of the strong beers they brew, I don't know if any would be able to top the Fort and Chateau Jiahau. 
My Rating: 7/10; 
Poured: Tulip (mine, although the other two were poured in Chimay Chalices)
BeerAdvocate: Link

The Old Engine Oil was a beer that I'd encountered in a store close to my parents' home back in Michigan. It was billed as being a black ale, and knowing at the time how much I enjoyed black lagers, stouts, porters, and the like, my wonderful girlfriend suggested it. I don't remember whether we ended up getting it or not, it was in early August before I shipped out to Boston for the last full semester of my graduate career (i.e. the end of the semester in which I'm writing this.) Anyways, this time around it was picked up by Pat after reading the label and description. I was excited to try this for real this time. It poured black with a slight dark tan swirly head. Upon holding the glass up to the light, the beer is not opaque, but a very very dark ruby red, a beautiful color for a good beer! Roasty, warm, and tasteful, this beer didn't let us down. It's rather subdued for a dark beer, being only 6% ABV, but that doesn't detract from the experience, and perhaps is better because it brings out the smokey flavor a lot more without mashing your face in with booze. If I was forced to draw a comparison, I'd say a mix between Victory's Storm King RIS and Sam Adams Black Lager/Cream Stout - in this case leaning more towards the latter in style, but with the robust roast and flavor of an RIS. 
My rating: 8/10 
Poured: Snifter (other was in a Chimay chalice)
BeerAdvocate: Link
Also of note: it goes extremely well with Rogue Chocolate Stout Cheddar, which was provided thanks to Pat.

These were the only beers I feel I have the capacity to review based upon their position in the evening. After all these, we had the Delerium Noel, and it seemed excellent, but I admit our overindulgence would taint anything I'd have to say about it. Still in the fridge are the Choklat, ST Raspberry Porter, and Rochefort 8, which will probably go down tonight! Stay tuned next week, I'll review them, and anything else of interest in the beer world! Thanks again to PH and Merchant du Vin for the tasting! Next week I'll be talking about the event on Thursday, December 11th to celebrate Chimay's 25th year importing to the US... we'll see if they have any tricks up their sleeve!


No comments: