Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Lone Wolf Beer Review: Brooklyn Black Ops

I'm going to do something unheard of... post a lone review. This time, it's of Brooklyn's rare offering Black Ops. I'm going to start posting lone reviews if I don't think I'll have enough to write about, which I'm worried about due to a limited budget. I had heard rumors and whisperings of this beer on the BeerAdvocate forums and decided that I needed to give it a try. It has all the things I like in a beer: high abv, tons of character, high reviews, it's a stout, and it's aged for four months in bourbon barrels. Because I'm STILL without a snifter (damn my clumsy hands,) I was forced to use my Chimay chalices yet again. However, I did it differently this time. I only poured about 2 fingers of beer at a time to attempt to utilize the wide mouth of the chalice. While I note that this is not the same as channeling the scent from a wide basin through a narrow opening, I thought it'd be good for dispersing the scent. It pours straight black with a little bit of brown/tan fuzz which quickly disappears except around the points where the beer makes contact with the sides of the glass. Little to no lacing clings to the side of the glass, but that could be due to the fact that I had such small pours and it wasn't exactly the perfect glassware for this endeavor. Smell reveals bourbon and coffee primarily, like most good bourbon aged stouts, with hints of a sweetness. My girlfriend made the comment that the smell reminded her of something that was associated with ice cream. We finally decided that it was traces of vanilla beans that people have been speaking of in the forums. The initial taste really was interesting. I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. First sip was very earthy, like smelling sweet soil or pure coffee grounds. That's not to say it's bad, it's just interesting. That is most likely due to the carbonation and whatnot that the special yeast release that's captured within those bourbon barrels. As it warms up, it begins to take the character of Founders Kentucky Breakfast, but less boozy and more fizzy. I must say, throughout the tasting experience, I was reminded of Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, except that this was that idea taken to perfection (I contemplated lowering the review of the SACB down to a 9 or 9.5, but can't justify it. I loved the SACB and think that I would buy it anytime.) This beer is spectacular. As this beer warms, the dark fruits, molasses, and bourbon seep up into your taste buds with a slight hint of the sweet vanilla bean. Throughout the experience there's a slight taste of bitterness and bourbon that makes up the hop signature. Also, people have spoken of its "drinkability," a term that I've began to loath as a result of those atrocious Bud Light commercials, and it is unusually smooth for a high octane brew like this. The long-term hop signature is straight molasses, coffee, and bourbon. Anyways, if you're a fan of bourbon aged stouts, this is absolutely a no-miss brew. The only drawbacks come in its rarity and its price. I payed $24 at Publick House Provisions who claimed they had already sold a third of their only case a day after receiving it (yeah, I was lucky I called.) Anyways, since it's the Christmas season, and I had a little extra money in my wallet thanks to my uncle, I couldn't pass this rare brew up.
My rating: 10/10
Poured: Small amounts into Chimay chalices
BeerAdvocate: Link

No comments: