Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Beginning of an affair: Stone Brewery

I'm apparently very very late to the Stone brewery party. I figured this out due to the fact that everyone I ask (that enjoys good beer) has had a brew or two from Stone. For me, it all started about a month ago with an Imperial Russian Stout. I was blown away! I had my fair share of RIS before, but this was absolutely perfect - creamy and roasty without being overwhelming while packing a good punch. Later, I would come to find out not only that this beer would be voted the second best beer ever by BeerAdvocate, but also that their brewery would be voted the best in the world. Two honors that, honestly, I didn't know before having my first 3 stone brews. My second and third came literally simultaneously while back at home visiting my family for the holidays. On tap at the Uptown Grille was Arrogant Bastard, a nice strong ale that I'd never tried before. It was excellent. My dad got a chalice of the Double Bastard, which he enjoyed so much that he stopped on the way home and picked up two bombers of it! I have to say, they brew beer that packs a punch and definitely has character. I'm looking forward to giving some of their other famous brews a try, such as their Ruination IPA, Oaked Arrogant Bastard, and I've heard rumors of some new special brews coming out about now.

That being said, Stone now gives me a top 5 favorite breweries which are, in no particular order: Stone, Southern Tier, Brooklyn, Founders, and Sam Adams.

Also, I'm headed out in a few minutes to attempt to track down the elusive Brooklyn Black Ops bourbon barrel aged stout... it looks like it's got my name written all over it!

No comments: