Monday, March 9, 2009

A Depressing Sidenote

While working on my thesis this morning, I watched something occur that I could only call depressing. There is an older man who lives in the building across the alley from me that must have problems with his legs. He walks a little hunched over, taking small scrapes across the ground at a snail's pace. After wondering for a while whether he has the health insurance to see a doctor about trying to find a working solution to his problem, I witnessed something unbelievable. It's snowing here, of course, after having two 60 degree days. Cars have a thin layer of snow on them as a result. This morning, this man shuffled along to his car and grabbed his snow and ice scraper, and began to go to work. A minute later, a figure emerged from the building and opened the rear door of his Volvo, only to drop a few bags and what not in before himself getting in. I sat there thinking: "Wow, they'll let this guy clean his car? He can barely walk! What is it with Americans these days?" Only then did I realize there was another person loading things into his car before jumping in to the backseat. This car had the possibility of having three people other than this older gentlemen in the car; all of them, it stands to reason, could probably walk much better than him. Why the hell didn't anyone help him? If it weren't for the fact that he would have been done before I could get out there, I had half a mind to go out and help him myself and yell at his kids or whoever they were for allowing this frail old man to work for their benefit without helping or even offering! Seriously, what is America coming to?

No comments: